Sunday, April 28, 2013

Star Wars, Dutch Blitz, and new friends

This weekend I got a chance to meet a bunch of the people that Trevor's been hanging out with down here, which was cool. Started off with going over to someone's house to chill and watch Star Wars, which was really a great way to start getting to know people a bit. Since I can geek out over Star Wars with the best of them, it made conversation flow a little bit more easily for me, and provided some common ground to get talking with people I'd just met. Oh, the power of Star Wars fandom - bringing people together since 1977 :)

Seriously though, that's why fandom in general is so awesome - because you can interact with people you don't even know and yet not feel awkward, because you can all quote every line/laugh at every joke before it happens/remember when you wanted to be Han Solo (yeah, that'd be yesterday... or maybe this morning...)

So that was Friday evening - hanging out watching Empire Strikes Back. Saturday evening we got to hang out with some of the same people and some new (to me) people over at the Wagners' place. Trevor's been going over there fairly often, I guess, and it was nice to meet some more of the people he'd talked about. There was a pretty intense game of Dutch Blitz that went on for most of the later evening, which was awesome. If you know me, you know I like fun, friendly, intense competition, so this was great. Eight people, super fast paced, very awesome. Totally looking forward to doing that again.

And today I got to worship with the folks at Enid Reformed Church. It's always really cool to get a chance to praise and honor God and hear his word preached in a new place with new people. You know how I was saying fandom is awesome because it brings people together? Well, worshiping God together is even more awesome, because it brings you together with your brothers and sisters in Christ, and that's pretty cool.

On a slightly sadder note, having fun with new friends this weekend also really made me miss the friends I left behind in Jersey, and the ones I left behind when college was over. There were a couple of moments when the sarcasm was flying and the laughter was high where I suddenly really, really missed 310 and company (yeah, that was an awesome year with amazing friends...) And singing a capella will forever make me remember this past Easter at Clara and Abigail's place.

Still, though, I feel really blessed to have those memories, and to have the friends I do. And I'm looking forward to making more amazing memories, both with new friends and with old (someday... I think it's time to start taking more advantage of Google hangouts...) God gave me some really awesome friends in high school and college, and more amazing friends in Jersey, and I feel pretty confident that he will continue to do so, no matter where we wind up.

No comments:

Post a Comment