Monday, August 26, 2019

Third time's the charm?

The day before my first semester of teaching, I was incredibly nervous. I'd never taught a real class before, and it had been more than ten years since the last time I took an economics class. The material was unfamiliar, the job was brand new, and I was unsure whether I'd actually be any good at the whole teaching thing. But I ended up with an excellent group of students, and that first semester, while a stressful learning experience, was confirmation that I really could do this job.

The day before my second semester of teaching, I was optimistically excited. I felt comfortable with the material, I'd figured out the lecture style that seemed to work for this course, and I was looking forward to making the course my own. While I did enjoy being able to rework things to help the students focus more on the core material of the course, that second semester ended up being stressful for a whole new set of reasons, mostly related to student dishonesty and immaturity.

Today, which is the day before my third semester of teaching, I'm just hoping things go smoothly. I know I can give the lectures well, and I have a decent grasp of how to determine which concepts this particular group of students might struggle with, but I don't want a repeat of the dramatics of last semester. I also have a larger class than any of my previous sections, so I'll have to work a bit harder to give everyone opportunities to actively participate, and I'll have to streamline assignment grading if I don't want to be swamped. It's all doable, I'm sure, but I just want it to be a decent semester, with students who remember that they're on their way to becoming adults and act accordingly. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

  1. Teaching is not that different from anything else in real life - the problems that you anticipate and plan for area not always the ones that pop up. Thus, the right mix of planning/anticipation and thinking on your feet is the key. And don't take yourself too seriously (only took me 25 years to get that last gem).
    Wishing you Godspeed in the new semester.

    ReplyDelete