After a couple of years of category-based reading challenges (which I very much enjoyed), I wanted to try something different this year. I'm still aiming for 52 books (or more), but I want to read more of the ones I already own. Thanks to thrift store bargains, Half Price Books, Kindle deals, and the Tor.com eBook Club (which you should all take advantage of if you like SFF), I've accumulated a lot of books that I haven't actually gotten around to reading. (This includes a lot of books that I read years ago, and bought with the intention of rereading. Which hasn't happened...)
Consequently, one part of my reading for this year will be the Mount TBR reading challenge (hosted HERE, or, if you're like me and prefer the Goodreads group, HERE). This challenge requires that the books be both ones you own, and ones you haven't read, or at least that you haven't read in a while. I'm aiming to summit Mont Blanc, which means reading 24 books off my to-be-read piles, although my actual goal is 30 books from those ever-growing piles. This will hopefully help me cut down on the number of unread books sitting on my Kindle gathering virtual dust, as well as those sitting on my actual bookshelves gathering actual dust.
![]() |
| My hard-copy TBR pile for 2017 |
I'm pretty sure this year's reading is going to be wildly skewed towards the SFF end of the spectrum, but after doing a pretty good job of widening my book horizons these past couple of years, I'm okay with that. It's my favorite genre for a reason, and I'm perfectly content to take a year where it's my primary source of books. So here's to a year of exploring strange new worlds via the written word!

No comments:
Post a Comment