Somewhere in the insanity that was college, I lost that.
Now, I have the time, but I spend it doing other things, mostly watching television. This year, I want that to change. I want to relearn the love of reading that I had as a kid, and I figure the best way to do that is simply to start reading again.
So when I saw this reading challenge on my FB newsfeed, it seemed like just what I needed to reboot my enjoyment of all things literary.
![]() |
| Credit to modernmrsdarcy.com |
The variety of this list really appealed to me, as did the freedom to choose whatever books I wanted, within the listed categories, of course. So this is one of my reading goals for this year - to read at least twelve books in twelve months, using this list to help broaden my reading horizons. (If left to my own devices, I would totally just read The Dresden Files and call it quits. This should give me more variety in those twelve books...)
My other reading goal involves only one book (or sixty-six of them, depending on how you count). For the first time in a long while, I'm trying to read through the whole Bible in a year. I've only actually managed that once in my life, but I'm hoping that, with some much-needed discipline, I can do it again.
Anyone who wants to join me on either of these challenges is more than welcome - in fact, I'd love company on this, and other people to talk with about the books or Bible passages being read. Either way, if this goes as planned, I'm going to be writing a mini review on this blog of each of the books I read for the challenge, so this hopefully won't be the last you hear about this.

This is a fantastic idea!!! I'd love to join you on both parts :D Do you have a particular plan you're following to read the Bible in a year?
ReplyDeletei'm using this one: http://www.esv.org/assets/pdfs/rp.chronological.pdf
Deletebut there are a bunch of other plans, depending on your preference - there's a good list here: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/bible-reading-plans/
Well, if you want someone to read through it with you to discuss passages, I'm willing to do the first one with you.
DeleteAnd as for the book thing, I was just told about this wonderful site called BookBub.com where you can pick certain genres of books that you like or are interested in and they'll send you a daily list of free or cheap ebooks within those genres. I sent you an invite. :D
Kirsten, this is a great idea! I like the combination of free choice and unusual categories to get you to read things you might not have otherwise.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar history with reading: when I was little I used to have a pile at the foot of my bed of all the books I was reading, but somewhere in school the book reports and assigned reading really killed the activity for me. In grad school I gradually returned to being a voracious reader (partly as a form of escape). What worked for me was a combination of reading whatever I wanted, along with a few "classics" thrown in with the proviso that I was allowed to dislike them if I wanted.
The "book you chose based on the cover" makes me laugh—last year I read "The Way of Kings" because of your post mentioning the cover art!
Yeah, I figure this will allow me to read books I really enjoy for some of the categories, and then make me branch out a bit for others. Also, that's awesome that you actually went and read The Way of Kings after I posted about the cover art :)
DeleteHope you and Clara are doing well, and enjoying your time in Europe!
You'll have to let me know of any good ones you find that also come on audiobook. Seems like most of my "reading" these days is listening driving back and forth from work. Have you read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series? I imagine you have... Sam found Thud! on the online library, which we both found amusing. Actually, I'm looking for a new book to listen to soon, so any immediate recommendations? Even though you claim to have not been reading as much anymore, I happen to know your book knowledge is far greater than mine.
ReplyDeleteThe only time I read through the Bible in a year I did it chronologically too, which was interesting, but a little rough through the kings of Israel and Judah since you read everything more or less twice, haha.
Bummer about not being able to come up to Maine this spring. I really wanted everyone to be able to come. I'm terrible about keeping up with people that I don't see face-to-face on a regular basis, even my own family :( I do creep on your blog sometimes, but that hardly counts...
I really enjoy a lot of Terry Pratchett's books, and would highly recommend any of the ones centered around the Watch (Men at Arms is my favorite), as well as Going Postal. As far as other book recommendations go, I'm a big fan of Michael Crichton's books - Prey, Timeline, and Andromeda Strain are particular favorites - he does a great job blending speculative science with interesting plots and characters. For sci-fi, I'd recommend The Icarus Hunt, or, if you're more into classic sci-fi, The Chrysalids or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are both good. For fantasy, the Codex Alera books are a fun read, and won't take years to read (unlike the WoT series). I also like some of John Grisham's legal thrillers - Runaway Jury and The Firm are probably my favorites, and Alistair Maclean has some good military/spy thrillers - Guns of Navarone and Ice Station Zebra are both quite good. I don't really listen to audiobooks, so I'm not sure which of these come in that form, but hopefully there's something on that list that looks interesting :)
DeleteAnd yeah, I'm sad to miss the skiing get-together, but hopefully we'll see everyone later this year. I know what you mean - I'm really bad at keeping in touch too, but the best part about good friends (and family) is that you can pick up where you left off when you finally do connect, so it works out in the end.
I found both Men at Arms and Going Postal on the audiobook library, so we'll start there :) They also have books 3 and 5 of the Codex Alera series.... Why would you have books 3 and 5 out of a series? Don't most people start with book 1?....
Delete