Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Traders Wild

I don't usually post about my story writing here, because for the most part, it's fanfiction, and unless you're a fan of Fringe or Supernatural, you're not going to care. But I'm making an exception to that rule here, because I'm quite proud of my latest accomplishment. (Please stick with me, everyone - there's a fun science fiction short story as a reward if you do!)

Back in October, I signed up to participate in the SPN Reverse Bang. The concept was simple - fan artists create art in various mediums - drawings, digital art, manips - pretty much everything was fair game. And then the authors (that'd be me and about 150 other people) come along and claim a piece of art, using it as a prompt for a fic. It was the first time I'd ever done anything along these lines, and I was excited to give it a try.

When I logged in to view the art prompts, I was thinking that I'd really rather stay away from digital manips, because oftentimes they look tacky and aren't well done. But then, right there on the first page, was a beautiful manip featuring Dean and a gorgeous spacescape. It was something along the lines of the covers of the classic sci-fi novels I grew up reading, and as I looked at it (my brain still in no-manips mode), I suddenly had an amazing idea for a story (or at least I thought so). And unlike most of my inspirations, this one came almost fully formed - plot points and plot twists and characters already laid out in detail in my head. I couldn't not write it, and so I put in my claim, hoping I'd get lucky - and I did!

After getting in contact with my artist (who goes by the name of glasslogic on LJ, and was amazing to work with), I ran my ideas past her, then leapt into writing. With the help of my very awesome sister, I managed to figure out a style that worked well for the story I wanted to tell, and over 8,000 words later, I had a short story!

(This is the part where I shamelessly plug my own work)

For those of you who aren't into Supernatural, that doesn't actually matter here, because this is an AU fic - the only things borrowed from the show are character names. So really, this is a piece of science fiction where the characters just happen to have the same names as the Winchester brothers. You don't have to know a thing about the show to understand it - just dive in and (hopefully) enjoy Traders Wild!


No comments:

Post a Comment